This Work Group is aimed at schools who are currently developing a teaching for mastery approach in KS1 and KS2. Early Years practitioners and senior leaders will develop their understanding of how Early Years best practice feeds into a teaching for mastery approach, and build firm foundations for all children so that they are ready to progress into Year 1. Participants will consider how to build clear progression in mathematical concepts and how to make these accessible to young children.
By getting involved, participants and their schools will:
- Understand progression in maths and how that is translated into direct teaching
- Be able to demonstrate how principles of teaching for mastery can be applied in the Reception classroom
- Demonstrate how to make maths accessible to all children and how to close attainment gaps
- Develop a clear progression of mathematical pedagogy from EYFS through the school
What is involved?
- three one-day face-to-face Work Group sessions (these may be split into half days or conducted online according to the needs of the group)
- action research and independent study in between face-to-face sessions including sharing of outcomes with others
- in-school work involving the EYFS teacher, the school’s maths lead, and a member of the senior leadership team