NEW DATES COMING SOON FOR 2020/21
Mathematical Thinking is a four half day course looking at mathematical structures in GCSE-level topics, improving pupils’ confidence, fluency and logical precision when they engage in mathematical reasoning. This course deepens teachers’ understanding of the subject knowledge and pedagogy linked to mathematical reasoning, enabling more effectively planning to address the reasoning component within all lessons. The course also develops CPD leadership skills among participant teachers and helps departments identify resources and approaches that can be built into schemes of work.
What is involved?
Exam boards often note that, when students come to GCSE exams, AO2 and AO3 are frequently poorly addressed. This Work Group is designed to:
- offer teachers support so that they are better equipped to help all students develop their mathematical thinking, ultimately preparing them for the challenges of the GCSE and beyond
- support teachers in understanding and using participation in a Work Group as the basis of collaborative continued professional development for themselves and within their department
By getting involved, participants will:
- increase their experience and understanding of the role of reasoning and problem-solving in the curriculum
- understand how these are tested at GCSE
- understand effective collaborative approaches to embed developments department-wide
- demonstrate improved confidence in planning and leading lessons that support deep mathematical thinking
- consider next steps for further deepening, developing and reviewing mathematical thinking
Training Dates & Times
The FREE programme consists of 4 separate training sessions. Applications for this programme will re-open in September 2020. Register your interest today.