ALL SESSIONS ONLINE
This programme enables participant teachers to work together to ‘unpick’ (i.e. analyse, deconstruct and trace through the curriculum) a challenging topic from GCSE Mathematics.
Participants will develop insight into the associated difficulties and misconceptions to support teaching in the short term, but also consider the implications for longer term curriculum design.
Workshops will provide opportunities for teachers to identify and analyse a key challenging topic area, to work collaboratively to develop pedagogical approaches to it, and to evaluate and discuss after teaching. There will be school-based tasks for participants to engage with between each meeting.
By getting involved, participants and their schools will:
- develop a deeper insight into the maths that underpins learning in a challenging topic, through unpicking and analysing the topic
- develop a deeper insight into the key issues and misconceptions behind the topic
- identify misconceptions and plan a series of lessons to support students in the topic area
- use and evaluate appropriate pedagogies to teach the topic area
- work with their departments to unpick and analyse topics to inform collaborative planning and development of schemes of work
Who can apply?
Participants should be secondary school teachers of GCSE Maths. Multiple colleagues (up to 3) from one school are very welcome to apply.
Past participants are very welcome to attend again in 2020/21.
What is the cost?
This programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and so is free to participating schools.
Participants must be able to commit to the full academic year’s programme, including completion of school/classroom activities and gap tasks as required.
Each participant is required to attend 5 sessions which will be held online until face to face delivery is safe. If face-to-face contact is resumed, these will be held at Altrincham Grammar School for Girls.
Training Dates & Times
7th December 2-4pm – online
2021: Online sessions:
1st February – 2.00-4.00pm
22nd March – 2.00-4.00pm
17th May – 2.00-4.00pm
21st June – 2.00-4.00pm