NEW DATES COMING SOON FOR 2020/21
Work Groups in this project will focus on participant teachers working together to ‘unpick’ (i.e. analyse, deconstruct and trace through the curriculum) a challenging topic from GCSE Mathematics. The programme consists of 4 sessions throughout the academic year.
Participants will develop insight into the associated difficulties and misconceptions to support teaching in the short term, but also consider the implications for longer term curriculum design.
By getting involved, participants and their schools will:
- develop a deeper insight into the maths that underpins learning in a challenging topic, through unpicking and analysing the topic
- develop a deeper insight into the key issues and misconceptions behind the topic
- identify misconceptions and plan a series of lessons to support students in the topic area
- use and evaluate appropriate pedagogies to teach the topic area
- work with their departments to unpick and analyse topics to inform collaborative planning and development of schemes of work
What is involved?
Each Work Group will follow a ‘workshop – school-based task’ cycle, consisting of several workshops followed in each case by a specific school-based task. Workshops will provide opportunities for teachers to identify and analyse a key challenging topic area, to work collaboratively to develop pedagogical approaches to it, and to evaluate and discuss after teaching. There will be school-based tasks for participants to engage with between each meeting.
Who should attend?
Anybody involved teaching across KS3 and KS4 but preferably 2 teachers of varying experience from each participating school.
Training Dates & Times
The FREE programme consists of 6 separate training sessions. Applications for this programme will re-open in September 2020. Register your interest today to reserve a place.